Hello All,
This week’s
videos are to do with open and closed ‘e’ and ‘o’ and with the handling of
double consonants. After hearing Scotto
and Freni, these two women are polar opposites in terms of open and
closed. There ‘e’ vowels are practically
[a] and so are there ‘o’ vowels. What do
you hear? Is there is difference
depending on how high or low they’re singing?
Double
consonants make the vowels before and after them shorter. The consonants take more time – the time has
to come from somewhere. The other
characteristic of them is that the pressure built up by the time the consonants
take doesn’t explode out of the back end but rather the release is gentle and
understated. That’s one of the things
which keeps Italian a fairly gentle and very legato language. Can you tell when they are singing double
consonants as opposed to single?
Furthermore, do you hear any ‘plosive’ sounds at all? ‘T’s, ‘p’s, [k]s, ‘s’s….etc. Do they sound sibilant or wet like in
English?
I don’t know a
lot about Magda Olivero. She was born in
1910 and as far as I know she just passed away recently. She was born in Saluzzo in the Piemonte
region of Italy in the very far western corner in the Alps. Tebaldi is a good
singer to know. She was legendary even
in her own time. She was born in 1922 in
Pesaro which is just south of Venice in the region known as The Marche and died
in 2004. Both singers were stars of the verismo style. If you don’t know what that is, look it up
and tell me.
Most of all,
enjoy,
R
Magda Olivero
Renata Tebaldi
Score
http://petruccilibrary.us/Scores/scores/Forzano_Giovacchino_1970/Puccini_-_GianniSchicchi_vocalscore.pdf (pg 77)
Text
O mio babbino
caro,
mi piace, è bello, bello.
Vo'andare in Porta Rossa
a comperar l'anello!
Sì, sì, ci voglio andare!
e se l'amassi indarno,
andrei sul Ponte Vecchio,
ma per buttarmi in Arno!
Mi struggo e mi tormento!
O Dio, vorrei morir!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
mi piace, è bello, bello.
Vo'andare in Porta Rossa
a comperar l'anello!
Sì, sì, ci voglio andare!
e se l'amassi indarno,
andrei sul Ponte Vecchio,
ma per buttarmi in Arno!
Mi struggo e mi tormento!
O Dio, vorrei morir!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
Translation
Oh my dear
papa,
I love him, he is handsome, handsome.
I want to go to Porta Rossa
To buy the ring!
Yes, yes, I want to go there!
And if my love were in vain,
I would go to the Ponte Vecchio
And throw myself in the Arno!
I am anguished and tormented!
Oh God, I'd like to die!
Papa, have pity, have pity!
Papa, have pity, have pity!
I love him, he is handsome, handsome.
I want to go to Porta Rossa
To buy the ring!
Yes, yes, I want to go there!
And if my love were in vain,
I would go to the Ponte Vecchio
And throw myself in the Arno!
I am anguished and tormented!
Oh God, I'd like to die!
Papa, have pity, have pity!
Papa, have pity, have pity!
No comments:
Post a Comment